random ramblings

sometimes useless nothings, sometimes brilliant thoughts

Monday, July 04, 2005

I don't need a bracelet...

I don't need a bracelet to tell you I want a cure for cancer, I don't need to see a bracelet on your wrist to know that you probably do too. Most people have been touched by cancer, most people want a cure, most people need a gimmick to donate a lousy dollar for cancer research....this drives me mad. Why do we need a world concert to raise awareness for poverty? Most people see poverty....oh, wait, you probably turn the channel...but you won't turn the channel from a concert, I get it. Why do the people who live some of the most gluttonous lifestyles want to raise awareness for poverty? Don't worry, I DO UNDERSTAND the value of raising awareness, I know it is critical and important BUT I hate that we need gimmicks I JUST PLAIN HATE IT. It is pathetic, I guess that is because we are human, we want a token, a trinket, to be entertained, then donations and protests are worth it. I see both sides, I promise you I do, I am torn, torn between wanting to watch the concerts and admiring the marketing of these bracelets and between being livid that this is what it takes to make change, that people dying is not enough to motivate people into change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
Gap Coupons