random ramblings

sometimes useless nothings, sometimes brilliant thoughts

Thursday, June 23, 2005

was that a pick up line?

I was going stir crazy! So I made my own fun, I went to a used book store and picked up three Chick-lit books. I then drove to a cafe, grabbed a book and headed in. Side note: I am also in the midst of reading Blink and As I Lay Dying, both take brain power and I felt I needed to balance these two books with some summer girly books. As I look at the muffins, the girl behind the counter becomes very excited about the book in my hand and tells me I will totally enjoy it, bla bla bla. She is super nice and I am pleased with her outgoing flare. We talk a little more about other books and she recommends the mango/something else iced tea. I walk outside to the patio, pleasantly surprised by how nice the iced tea is and proud of myself for getting out of my house, and settle into my antisocial corner so that the people on the other side of the patio cannot see me and I can enjoy this fun book.

Then a guy trespasses on my turf, sits at the next table....wait....before he sits, before I know he exists he says "Excuse me, what book are you reading?". Slightly irritated at this interruption I hold up the book so he can see the cover. He reads it aloud and then goes to sit down. "I asked because I am almost finished my book and am looking for another to read" he says (or something like that)...so I smile and say "Oh this is a girly book" and he says that he figured that already. So then he starts reading his book, it occurs to me that maybe that was a pick-up line ( I am not wearing my wedding band today, no reason accept laziness, I take it off to put lotion on and sometimes don't put it back on for a few days)....or he likes asking strangers for book recommendations. So I sneak a few glances, he has a good head of hair (not good hair but good hairline, thick hair) is wearing a clean white teeshirt and grubby pants, good looking in a way. My mom would think he is cute, I continue to observe....he moves his lips while he reads, he smokes, his cell phone goes off twice but he does not answer it, he gets a refill on his iced tea.

I still don't know if he was trying to hit on me or was just a nice guy. I have never been good at deciphering that kind of stuff. But it made for an interesting afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
Gap Coupons